Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Review: Lithuanian Chicago by Justin G. Riskus

Lithuanian Chicago by Justin G. Riskus

Link to buy Lithuanian Chicago (Images of America)

Story Rating: 5 out of 5

Blurb:

Today, there are more than 100,000 Lithuanians in Chicago, making the city home to the greatest concentration of Lithuanians outside of the country itself. Their presence in Chicago began in 1834 and drastically increased during the 20th century as immigrants and their descendants sought work in the stockyards and other industries. Lithuanians in Chicago were dedicated to celebrating and preserving their unique culture, evident in its churches, schools, museums, and community centers in neighborhoods such as Bridgeport and Marquette Park. They also maintained ties to the homeland and played an important role in Lithuanias struggles for independence throughout the 20th century. Many prominent Lithuanian Americans are from the City of the Big Shoulders, including football great Dick Butkus, actor John C. Reilly, and director Robert Zemeckis. The former president of Lithuania, Valdas Adamkus, was a resident of Chicagoland for nearly 50 years.

Review:

As a Lithuanian living in Chicago I found this book to be absolutely fascinating. There were so many topics in this book that I was familiar with while growing up in the Marquette Park area. The photos were a complete blast from the past and I even recognized people I knew as a teenager in high school in some of the dance photos. I found the history of the Sisters of Saint Casimir very interesting since I myself  am a graduate of Maria High School. I was thrilled to see Racine Bakery making it into the book since I think it is fantastic bakery that I visit often. So, all in all I was impressed with the history and culture that was presented in this book and I would recommend it highly to anyone interested in getting a look at Lithuanians in Chicago.

Reviewed by Annmarie

No comments:

Post a Comment