Sunday, March 16, 2014

Today's guest! Tabitha Ormiston-Smith!

Please start by telling us a little about yourself, including things like education, jobs, spouse, children, pets, etc.
I’ve degrees in computer science, philosophy and law. I can’t imagine that anyone would be interested in my personal life.

Tell us about your latest nonfiction book and what inspired you to write it.
Years ago I worked for a large company which staggered under a terrible burden of staff illiteracy. I took to posting little grammar bulletins on the intranet. To make them palatable and fun for people to read, I wrote these bulletins in the form of little dialogues between famous historical and fictional characters. To my amazement, these bulletins were immensely popular and I started to receive fan mail. The ones I originally wrote formed the kernel of Grammar Without Tears. 


Do you belong to any critique groups and/or do you have other people read your work as you're writing it? Who's brutally honest and who's a cheerleader? Which do you prefer?
I often ask my husband to read over new material. He’s brutally honest and has a wonderful eye for detail. His feedback is extremely helpful. I don’t belong to critique groups. It’s possible to waste one’s whole day in internet groups, and writing is really a solitary activity.

Which authors have been the greatest inspiration to your writing?
I’m not sure. There are certain authors whom I love and by whom I will read anything at all: Jane Austen, Rumer Godden, Anthony Trollope. There are others whom I particularly admire for a specific aspect of their work; Stephen King springs to mind for his use of the narrative voice. However, these things apply more to my fiction than to Grammar Without Tears, which is the only non-fiction book I have written or plan to write. I don’t think any particular author has inspired me with it, although of course I have borrowed characters from some, such as Biggles and Algy, and Holmes and Watson.

Do you outline before you write or just dive head-first into a manuscript? Do you maintain a schedule for writing, or is it more haphazard?
That depends on what I’m writing. With the Grammar Without Tears dialogues, I just drive straight in; at heart I’m a pantser. But certain things have to be more completely planned. I particularly find with short stories that I generally need to have a bit of structure in place before I start writing.

Where do you do your best writing? (Ex: desk in your office, public library, under a tree in the park, in front of a Real Housewives TV marathon, etc.) Do you like music or some other background noise, or do you need quiet?
I must have quiet. I find it very difficult to write against a background of noise. A bit of traffic noise is okay, but music is right out, as are human voices. This is why I rarely do the stylish writer thing of taking my laptop to a cafe and working there. I did do that when my air conditioning was out of order, but it wasn’t a great success, as within half an hour of my arrival the cafe had a power blackout. I have a nice corner office with plenty of natural light, and a great big desk with plenty of space for cats, and an espresso machine not far away, and I like to stay there.

What are the best and worst parts of writing a book?
The best, the absolute best part, is when you start writing and get into the flow, and it starts to take shape under your hands, and you realize it’s going to be alright after all, that yes, your idea is going to work, and you haven’t lost all your skills overnight, and it’s really going to happen. The absolute rock bottom part of it is correcting proofs.

When you're driving and you have a sudden, brilliant idea for the new manuscript you're working on, what do you do? (Ex: pull over and fire up the laptop, keep driving while scribbling on a McDonald's bag, tell Siri, etc.)
If the idea is really brilliant, I will pull over and jot things down in the notebook I always carry. I never leave home without a notebook and pencil.

When you go to the zoo, which animals do you visit first?
The big cats.

What are the top 5 titles in your Netflix queue? (Be honest.) Or if you don't have a Netflix queue, which books are on your bedside table? (Again, be honest.)
I am sorry, but I’ve never even heard of Netflix. I am currently reading Tears of the Giraffe, by Alexander McCall Smith, but it is not on my bedside table. Nothing can be kept on the bedside table, because of Emily, my puppy.

Do you prefer to read ebooks or print? 

Definitely ebooks.

What do you enjoy doing, apart from writing?
Quality time with my dog, and reading of course; I read everything. My hobby is education. I do courses in all kinds of things. At present, I’m learning German and ballroom dancing.

Where is your favorite place in the world?
Venom Ponds.

Do you have any advice for people who want to write a book?
Yes. Make sure you can write a coherent page of English first. If you can’t, or if you don’t see the point of grammar, you are not ready to be a writer.

Please give us your website and any other links you'd like included in the interview.

My website:    http://tormistonsmith.wix.com/tabitha
My blog:          http://topcatsalley.blogspot.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment