Friday, March 7, 2014

Today's guest! Mark Elswick!

Please start by telling us a little about yourself, including things like education, jobs, spouse, children, pets, etc. 

I just turned 45 and have lived in MI, KY, VA, and TN. I’ve lived the majority of my life in Michigan, though; I’m a Wolverine through and through. As a junior in college at the University of Michigan, I was in an auto accident which left me on death’s doorstep, sure to die from a Traumatic Brain Injury. Doctors told my parents I’d die, and there was nothing more they could do. Then, two weeks into my month-long coma, I was taken off of life support, finally. Docs warned that I’d be a vegetable “IFFFF” I ever regained consciousness. Well, I had to relearn to walk, talk, everything. I returned to college and graduated w/my B.A., then went to grad school and earned my M.A. (Central Michigan University). As a former sportswriter and college English professor, I’ve dabbled in jobs but never settled on a career. So, as of late-2011, Padman: A Dad’s Guide to Buying . . . Those was published by Modern History Press. Today, I’m going the Indie route, and working on a few different projects. My first, Violent Vows: A Newlywed’s Nightmare, should be out before this summer; it’s inspired by actual events. 
Tell us about your latest book and what inspired you to write it.
Padman, my first release, is an inspirational comedy, 100% true. The collection of short stories is both hilarious and tear-jerking.
Which authors have been the greatest inspiration to your writing?
My personal favorite, cheesy moment, The Bard—William Shakespeare. Modern day, I love John Feinstein.
Do you outline before you write or just dive head-first into a manuscript? Do you maintain a schedule for writing, or is it more haphazard?
I try to outline, but usually I begin ad libbing and go way off the course. I find it nicer to have an outline to keep me on a semi-course.
Where do you do your best writing? (Ex: desk in your office, public library, under a tree in the park, in front of a Real Housewives TV marathon, etc.) Do you like music or some other background noise, or do you need quiet?
Actually, I hate the silence. I do my best writing at my coffee shop—McDonalds. There are McDonalds on every corner, basically. Therefore, it’s not uncommon for me to pop in and spend four hours or so off in the corner, writing.
What are the best and worst parts of writing a book?
The best part of writing a book is seeing the finished product because all my hard work is evident. The worst part of writing a book is seeing the finished product because it’s time to start another.
When you're driving and you have a sudden, brilliant idea for the new manuscript you're working on, what do you do? (Ex: pull over and fire up the laptop, keep driving while scribbling on a McDonald's bag, tell Siri, etc.)
O man, that’s an awesome question because there have been many times that I had a brilliant idea. (Those happen a LOT, but I have no proof so no one believes me. DANGIT! Haha) I try to record them in my phone so I have them for later. But, “many times,” I forget or can’t do it.
When you go to the zoo, which animals do you visit first?
I haven’t been to the zoo in a long time. However, the monkeys are hilarious. Which would I bypass…snakes.. I HATE snakes. I’m not ashamed to admit…I’ll run.
Do you prefer to read ebooks or print?
I like the feel of turning pages. I realize they’re taking over, but I’m just not into ebooks. To each his or her own, though.
What do you enjoy doing, apart from writing?
I love sports and country music, TX country, specifically. If I could have Fox Sports, the 4-Letter Network, and Country Music Videos, I’d be set. As far as out and about, I love hanging w/friends, movies, and dinner.
Do you have any advice for people who want to write a book?
Whatever you expect, whether it’s fame, fortune, or notoriety, WASH THAT FROM YOUR BRAIN. Odds are, it’s going to take time and work, with little notoriety. IF you’re a hopeful person who believes in your dreams and isn’t afraid to work for it, then this writing gig is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment